In episode 36 of Black Law and Legal Lies, Ann, Becky, and Dan examine a few of the intricacies of expunging your criminal record.
1. What exactly does expungement mean?
2. If you’re crime is expunged does that mean you’re no longer convicted?
3. When a criminal background check is performed, does the crime show up?
4. The DIY guide to getting your criminal record expunged.
There’s LITERALLY and app for that!
Ann lays out the steps you’d need to take if you are attempting to have your record expunged. If you’re in Louisiana, the state offers a free app called the Clean Jacket app that you can use to request a crime be expunged.
5. What types of crimes are eligible for an expungement? (Ex. Drugs, DUI, violent crimes, felonies, misdemeanors, etc…).
6. If you plead guilty to a crime, can you still get an expungement down the line?
7. If the case is dismissed, retired, of you get a diversionary sentence, are you eligible?
8. If you’ve served time for your crime, are you still a candidate for an expungement?
9. Why do people typically look to expunge their criminal records?
10. How many times, and in how many states can you expunge your criminal record?
1. If a police officer or court official is found to be corrupt (like the Meek Mills case) and their cases are called into question, does the crime you’re convicted of, whether affected by corruption or not, automatically get dropped and removed from your record?
2. If you’ve plead guilty to a crime that you did NOT commit, out of fear of a jury trial, and it’s discovered that the arresting officer was guilty of planting/fabricating evidence in your case (and multiple others) will that crime be expunged, even though you plead guilty?
The Unapologetik Podcast (@UnapologetikPod). Host @TheGreatJayden provides his #Unapologetik opinion on all things pop culture. Each week features a new guest to discuss topics that some may deem taboo.
Ask an Attorney.
Who gets my shit when I die if I don’t have a will? Can you eliminate each successive party after answering until we don’t know where the shit goes?